|Name:||Exposition Universelle (6th)|
|Dates:||25 Aug (St Louis’ day) – 13 Oct 1823|
|Theme:||This was a straightforward repeat of the 1819 exposition, the Minister of the Interior copied the instructions and the invitations from the earlier event and attached King Louis’ ordnance that approved it.|
|Legacy:||One catalogue praised the expanding linkage in France of inventors, capitalists and artisans and attributed much of this progress to the restoration of the monarchy|
This event adopted a different, less serious, tone. The 1798 exposition had placed winning entries in a ‘Temple of Industry’, in 1819 the terminology was a ‘Sanctuary of Industry’, but 1823 was proudly
proclaimed as theatre and a festival.
Further, the previous event’s focus on textiles was modulated by more of a focus on metalwork and agricultural tools. The 1,542 exhibitors were presented 1,091 awards.
Érard’s piano branding
Pair of Henri and François Nast vases
Prompting special mention at the Exposition were Érard’s pianos, Henri and François Nast vases, Jacquard’s looms (again), Dollfuss and Mieg printed shawls…
The Séguin Brothers of Lyon set up in the courtyard a large model for the first French iron suspension bridge that they had designed to span the Rhone river between between Tain and Tournon. It was duly constructed in 1825, but was later criticised for not allowing enough clearance for steam vessels, it was demolished in 1965. [Bristol’s Clifton Suspension Bridge was designed by Isimbard Kingdom Brunel, and he started its construction in 1831, and yet it still provides a safe vehicle and pedestrian crossing across the 76-metre gorge today, it carries around four million vehicles a year and is a major link with the motorway network.]